Dental License in Virginia for Foreign Trained Dentists
A diploma or a certificate from a dental program accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association. This dental program could be any of the following:
(a) Pre-doctoral dental education program
(b) At least a 12-month post-doctoral advanced general dentistry program
(c) Post-doctoral dental education program in any other specialty.
1. Successful completion of Part I and Part II of the national board dental examination.
2. Satisfactory completion of all sections of the board-approved clinical dental examinations. (The board-approved examinations are SRTA from any year and CRDTS, WREB or NERB results for examinations completed after January 1, 2005. CITA scores are accepted if examination is taken after September 1, 2007).
3. If the candidate fails any section of a board-approved examination 3 times, the candidate shall complete a minimum of 14 hours of additional clinical training in each section of the examination to be retested in order to be approved by the board to sit for the examination a 4th time.
4. All applicants for licensure by examination shall be required to attest that they have read and understand and will remain current with the applicable Virginia dental laws and the regulations of the board. The board does not require the applicant to pass any dental laws exams, but such an exam is offered if the candidate wishes to test his/her knowledge of dental laws.
1. A final certified transcript of the grades from the college from which the applicant received the dental degree, or post-doctoral degree or certificate.
2. An original grade card issued by the Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations.
3. A current report from the Healthcare Integrity and Protection Data Bank (HIPDB) and a current report from the National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB).
You can find up-to-date laws and regulations and more in the VA Board of Dentistry Laws & Regulations webpage, and a complete listing of the required forms here.
1. Regulations Governing the Practice of Dentistry & Dental Hygiene. Virginia Board of Dentistry.
2. Chapter 27 of Title 54.1 of the Code of Virginia, Dentistry.
3. VA Dental License Application Form